susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Double Duplicity by Paty Jager

Double Duplicity (Shandra Higheagle Mystery, #1) - Paty Jager

Shandra Higheagle is an easy character to like. At first, I was drawn in by her practical nature, how she stood her ground, and how she stood up for her friends. I was drawn into the mystery right away.

Later on, things get a little silly. Shandra decides the best way to investigate matters is to show some cleavage… but then she gets a little offended when people take note of said cleavage. I just had to roll my eyes little at that.

Detective Ryan Greer is truly dedicated to his job. I liked him right away too. He relies on facts, not opinions. At least, at first he does. Later in the story he starts to rely on Shandra’s dreams. That part of the story didn’t work for me. I think it’s because both of them relied too heavily on her dream warnings too quickly. I would need lots and lots of proof before doing so.

The romance was cute, but romance isn’t my cup of tea. For me, it started off fine, adding to the character development. Later on, it was a distraction especially as it became more of an insta-luv thing than a slow burn.

The mystery was fun. There’s a limited number of characters so guessing which character perpetrated which crime wasn’t too hard, but I had fun watching our heroes untangle it all. All told, 3.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Ann M. Thompson did OK. Initially, she had a great voice for Shandra, a deep feminine voice, as described in the book. However, this slowly slips into a lighter female voice. If there were 2 or more characters in a scene, then the voices were distinct. However, if it was just a single character, that voice could sound like another single character. So, there wasn’t a steady, continuous distinction among the character voices. Thompson’s male characters need masculinity. Often, I mistook a male character for a female one because of the voice. The pacing was good and there were no technical issues with this recording. 3.5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Paty Jager. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.