susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Watcher by A J Eversley

Watcher - A.J. Eversley

This story started off really good. I was pulled in straight away and the tale gripped my attention for the first 3rd of the book. By then, I was attached to certain characters and rode the rest of the story out. It lagged a bit in the middle but picked up with intrigue and action during the last third.

Sawyer is a capable young lady who has been training since a young age to protect her people and combat the bots and carbons. I love that sometimes she’s in charge of a mission but she’s also got bosses back at base. The world has long since been in disarray and humanity is losing the fight against the artificial beings. Everyone wonders when their last day will be. As far as everyone knows, there are only 2 remaining cities in the world: Cytos and Kuros. No one is sure how many free humans are left since they are all in hiding. This setting really drew me in.

I did get a kick out of some of the character names like Tennyson and Byron. Then some have regular names like Kyle and Sam. Toss in Kenzie, who we know from the beginning has something to do with a nefarious group. I do wish there had been more female characters. There is one who serves as the main cook for the humans and Sawyer’s memory of her mother plays a strong emotional role. Still, there is only 1 woman, Sawyer, who gets plot-related stuff done. We need more ladies in this story.

The romance was silly and I felt it dragged the story down. It was cliched and didn’t hold any special magic to it. I found myself hoping the two lovebirds would find out they were blood relatives so then all their angst would have a real reason behind it. I’m evil that way.

Coleman, the Big Baddie, was also a bit cliched too. His lines were always predictable and all the traps could be seen coming a mile off. I wanted a bit more from the evil ones. Also, for some odd reason, most of the humans have never even held a gun…. which doesn’t make sense at all. It’s not like the world fell just last month. No, these women and men have had years (maybe decades) to build secret bases, have organized missions, and a little bit of espionage on the carbons. I expect most would be armed with some weapon all the time and all would know the basics of a handgun.

Chevy the dog was a cute touch but I felt he was put there more to pull on the heart strings and provide some comic relief than anything else. Who takes an untrained dog on a dangerous rescue mission? Sawyer, that’s who! But, why? Sawyer, you’re in charge. You can leave Chevy behind. The base literally locks it doors behind you once you leave for your mission. He’ll settle down eventually, chewing on your favorite shoe.

The last third of the book picks up again with a few twists. I got back into the story and was rooting for Sawyer. Things aren’t looking good for the humans but perhaps Sawyer and crew can pull off a miracle. Sawyer now has some internal, personal battles to work on as well. The sequel holds promise. 3.5/4 stars

The Narration: Chelsea Stephens and Steve Campbell do a good job narrating this book. Stephens makes a great Sawyer with her clear voice that can be both tough and tender. Campbell makes a great eerie Kenzie. Most of the story is narrated by Stephens and she did a good job with distinct character voices. Her male characters sounded like men. I especially liked her voices for the cook and the elderly mad scientist on Sawyer’s side. There were no technical issues with this recording. 5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by AJ Eversley. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.