susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Truth Kills by Nanci Rathbun

Truth Kills: An Angelina Bonaparte Mystery - Nanci Rathbun

I love that our hero in this tale is an independent, older woman. Angie Bonaparte is an independent investigator that often works closely with the local Milwaukee police. However, she’s also got some character flaws that made it difficult for me to like her. She’s really hung up on looks and comparing herself to other women. Angie assumes all women do this and she does so through out the entire book. I would have liked more self-confidence in her character. She trades some petty gossip about her boyfriend and that puts her in Mean Girl territory. I felt it was small of her… but then I liked how things ended there and felt she deserved it. So, yeah, I had a love/hate relationship with Angie. Despite that, I have solid hopes that she will grow as a person and do better in Book 2.

The plot itself is solid and I quite enjoyed this aspect of the story. Anthony Belloni, a mob boss, is the obvious suspect when his dish on the side (Elisa Murano) gets murdered. Angie was hired by Gracie Belloni (Tony’s wife) to look into whether or not Tony was having an affair. After digging around in Tony’s affairs, she believes Anthony was honestly re-prioritizing his life with the imminent birth of his 4th or 5th kid by his wife. Of course the local police assigned to the case are way more skeptical.

I especially liked Ted Wukowski, one of the police detectives assigned to the case. He’s grumpy and not personable but Angie sees there’s something more going on there. It was a joy to see the back and forth between these two.

The story does beat on one particular drum quite often: a woman’s independence. Angie comes from a very traditional Italian family that expects women to be stay at home wives and mothers. Angie, after her divorce, has broken away from that. She went even further by choosing a traditionally male occupation. I like all of this but, even so, sometimes that drum beating was a little too often. Angie has a bit of a chip on her shoulder while also being a bit silly worrying over her personal sex appeal. I would have liked the story a little more if this aspect had been toned down a bit.

The pacing is good with clues, some action, character building, and this budding relationship between Angie and Wukowski. Over all, I look forward to Book 2 and seeing if Angie can gain some self confidence. 4/5 stars.

The Narration: Kieren Calland Metts was OK for this book. Her narration needs some polishing all around. She has a decent voice for Angie and her pronunciations are very clear. She is hesitant with any accent so sometimes it came out a bit fumbled or over-accentuated. Her male voices need some masculinity. The pacing is a little slow and the volume sometimes fluctuates a bit. 3/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Nanci Rathbun. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.