susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Cash Kills by Nanci Rathbun

Cash Kills - Nanci Rathbun

Note: Even though this is Book 2, it works fine as a stand alone novel.

Private instigator Angeline Bonaparte is growing on me. I was on the fence in Book 1, but I like her better in this story. She’s a bit more mature and not as lacking in confidence as in Book 1. The plot is tighter than Book 1 and the mystery takes a bit more to solve. I also enjoy the continuing relationship between Angie and Ted Wukowski.

I didn’t care for all the fashion name drops and the repeated descriptions of Angie’s underwear. I don’t care that much about her matching bra and panties, even if Ted does. I liked that a 50+ year old single woman enjoys her sexuality, but I don’t need to know her daily choice in under garments. I don’t pay attention to fashion name brands, so dropping those names to describe what characters are wearing was boring for me. Honestly, I’m not going to go google what this type of hat is or that type of jacket.

Back to the plot: Adriana Johnson is a young adult who recently lost both her parents in an apparent robbery gone bad. Now she’s inherited millions of dollars but she’s got lots of questions. Her family didn’t live like they had money so Adriana has suspicions about where this money came from. Considering her family has a bloody past, I think this prudent of her. Adriana has a mix of distrusting nature and innocence. She doesn’t know how to do her own makeup but she’s wise enough to hire a PI to look into this money.

It’s a small cast this time, so it soon becomes apparent who’s the bad guy, but tracking that person down and keeping Adriana safe isn’t so easy. Most of this tale is about the hunt which I liked. Angie carries concealed & knows how to handle her gun, which is great. The fact that she feels she needs to repeat this was a little tiring. Angie had a chip on her shoulder about women working in traditionally male jobs in Book 1; she’s still got that chip in this book. I don’t mind the point being made, but to keep hammering away at it is a little tiring.

Ted and Angie continue to circle each other, figuring out just how deep their romance really is. I liked the back and forth between them. It’s quite sweet how their families get pulled into it. I didn’t feel that Angie should have to apologize to her dad, but I also could see how a traditional Italian family might take the minor ‘scandal’. This tale ends on a sweet, happy note. 4/5 stars.

The Narration: Kieren Calland Metts did OK with this narration. Her pacing is a little slow but she has a very good voice for Angie Bonaparte. Her masculine voices are better than in Book 1 but could still use a little more masculinity. Metts accents are hesitant and muddied. Also, and I don’t think this falls on the narrator, but there are several moments in the book where the author explains how certain names are pronounced. With an audiobook version, there’s no need to spell out how to pronounce Adriana, etc. Metts has great little kid voices and a perfect elderly woman voice for Ted’s mother. 3/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Nanci Rathbun. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.