susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Parallax by D. T. Dyllin

Parallax - D.T. Dyllin

Note: While this is Book 2 in the series, this works fine as a stand alone novel.

It was fun getting to know Tamzea in this novel. In Book 1, Starblind, she was a rather minor character. Here, she is center stage. Even as memories from her past haunt her dreams, her future lies rooted in that past. The Pittsburgh has bumped into an unexpected spacepod with an even more unexpected cargo. This cargo drags Tamzea back into a hell hole she once escaped.

Eron, Tamzea’s other half, has been trapped in that hell hole all these years. The two must figure out their escape together even as they decide on their new relationship. There’s plenty of sexy scenes in this book, as there was in Book 1. They are delightfully steamy even if some of them are rather brief.

This space opera is quick and breezy fun. Jane still has a role as captain. She’s got a whiny side when her mate, Ash, is off doing something, leaving her alone. Zula and Masha also put in appearances but their roles are small. I liked the new addition of Eron though I felt that most of the focus was on his most masculine attributes (especially during the sex scenes).

The pace is fast and well spaced between action scenes, sexy bits, and a little bit of character reflection or growth. The Denards continue to be the baddies in this series with little depth but I can live with that. While I did like Book 1 a little more, this was a good addition to the series. 3.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Ashley Holt continues to have a distinctive cadence in her narration. It’s not bad but it is an acquired taste. Since I was already familiar with her work from Starblind, I found her narration a good continuation for the series. Mostly, her character voices were distinct but sometimes they were muddied. Her male voices were masculine. Once again, I did speed up the narration just a touch (1.25X) as so many of the syllables are really drawn out. Increasing the speed made the narration sound more natural. 3.5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. This tour is being sponsored by Spectrum Audiobooks. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.