susanvoss18

susanvoss18

The Aparting by R. K. Howard

The Aparting - R.K. Howard, James Simenc, Mazewriter Publishing

Ethan is an odd teen. He likes to count his steps between places and his social skills aren’t up to par. However, Ethan’s dad is a doctor. A group of kidnappers think they will get decent ransom money for Ethan. But Ethan has a secret, one that could kill.

This is an interesting short story. At first, I wasn’t sure I would like the inner monologue as the primary mode of getting info to the readers, but I quickly fell into step with it and enjoyed it. Ethan is a bit naive, and he wants to believe his kidnappers when they say they don’t plan to harm him and that he’ll be back home soon. But as the pressure mounts and Ethan goes longer and longer without his daily medication, a shift happens inside Ethan’s head. Without spoiling things, I really enjoyed how this came about and found it clever and entertaining.

My favorite character was probably Emily. I know that’s a bit naughty because she’s chaotic and a bit destructive. Her straight forward attitude and shamelessness in who she is were great. Since there were some bad guys to take out, I didn’t mind her enjoyment in the task.

Overall, it’s a great lunch time break. There’s a touch of horror without getting too gruesome. Of course, there’s some dark humor and this really appealed to me.

I received a copy of this audiobook at no cost from the author (via theGoodReads Audiobooks group) in exchange for an honest review.

The Narration: James Simenc was a good pick for this book. I like his cautious, socially inept voice for Ethan. His voice for Emily is quite different and really fits her. He did a really good job with the inner monologue, especially when Ethan slumps into unconsciousness or is freaking out a bit.