susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Resonance

Resonance - A. J. Scudiere,  David Carter,  Paul Boehmer,  Gabriel De Cuir,  Rebecca Sorensen Resonance is a modern-day science fiction story set in the United States. The main characters are one flavor of scientist or another; Becky is our biologist with a special interest in amphibians, David is our rock licker (geologist), and Jillian and Jordan are the CDC medical doctors. A. J. Scudiere did a great job of making all the educated folk real people with flaws, accents, hopes, and the occasional slang. The story starts out with a few oddities – a few folks sick and slipping into comas, a few dozen mutated frogs, some odd magnetic readings on some rocks. These things are being noted by different individuals throughout the nation and eventually they end up in a small community at the same time and start connecting the dots. The magnetic poles are reversing.

I enjoyed how the author built each character up individually before throwing them all together. Jordan and Jillian entered the story at about the same time because they were both new hires for the CDC. We learn later that Jordan came from an impoverished family and was the first and only to go to college. Jillian has a brain the size of the Earth’s lodestone and her brainy antics are not understood by her family. Becky has a much younger sister and a wonderful family that she treasures. David is a bit of a slut but also a brilliant geologist, who trudges around in the shadow of his world-renowned geologist father.

Roughly two-thirds of the way through the book, the author throws in a twist and I did not see it coming. I love it when that happens! Jillian has to put her brain in overdrive to figure out what is going on and then try to use her impaired social skills to convince Jordan. David has experienced the same phenomenom and needs no convincing. But will Becky ever believe them, even though she wants to badly?