susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Trapped

Trapped - Kevin Hearne Once again, this was an awesome ride. I had my concerns: 1) 12 years since the last full novel?!? 2) Was Kevin Hearne going to turn Granuaile into some badass magic user without an appropriate transition period? 3) I was deeply concerned that Oberon, an Irish Wolfhound, wouldn’t make into Book 5 as Irish wolfhounds have a short life span. So, first off, Granuaile still has much to learn about slinging magic. Yet she has spent 12 years working on staff and throwing knifes, so she isn’t completely defenseless against minor deities, vampires, and other such pesky bad guys. Yes, Oberon is in Trapped and I absolutely love his simple take on the world – as long as there is sausage, all is right with the world. The passage of 12 years did not disrupt the series.

Once again, this is a very fast-paced urban fantasy. I loved that much of it took place in Greece, which allowed for a more worldly take on things. There were more moments of bare-ass shenanigans (which happens every book and a book without such shenanigans wouldn’t truly be the Iron Druid Chronicles). While there was plenty of humor, there were also several moments of greater seriousness adding weight to the underlying premise that Loki truly threatens the existence of everyone – mortal and immortal alike. Yet another excellent read from Kevin Hearne that had me laughing out loud and finding ways to waste a little more time on the computer as I listened to the book.