susanvoss18

susanvoss18

The Midas Tree

The Midas Tree - Lesley  Phillips Lesley Phillips built a story around meditation techniques and adventures through a natural environment. The tale is told simply, so that even children with an interest could enjoy this book. I also enjoyed the artwork, both on the cover and the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter. Several nature elements provided lessons for Joshua, both as teachers and as quests. The Devas act as guides, often leading Joshua, but sometimes giving him a push, in the direction of his next life lesson.

At first the meditation bits were intriguing to me, being a part of the way of life in the Midas Tree. Such ideas as grounding your self, removing energy blocks, and connecting with your personal cosmic energy all started off as background to the larger story. However, towards the end it became a little preachy and I found myself skimming over those bits to get back to the main story line. I enjoyed the Devas; each of the main Devas had main tasks to keep the tree healthy. Through them, Joshua got to explore the tree from root system, to trunk, to the topmost tree canopy. Often, there were natural animals to help him along such as a spider, a woodpecker, a bat, and a grub. Some of the lessons involved Joshua assisting another to learn their lesson.

The overall tone of the book was simple, easy to read. In fact, most of the chapters could be read individually, such as a bedtime story to an interested child. Each of the main characters had their own personalities that did not blend together as the story went on. However, there was one Deva, Devalicious, who’s character sometimes dropped into that for a more mature audience; her flirtatious behavior jarred with the rest of the novel. In the end, while I can appreciate the craft that went into this novel, many of the concepts did not ring true to life for me and I found myself loosing interest.