susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Power of Five by Alex Lidell

Power of Five - Alex Lidell

This is a fun, light romantic fantasy. Leralynn is at the center of everything but the guys each bring something to the table too. Tye is a constant flirt but could also be a best friend. Coal is that assassin we all wished we had on our side. Shade has more personality in his wolf shape but I can see him developing with the series. River strikes me as a good leader of the team sometimes, but sometimes he reads more like a dominant alpha.

The characters were the strongest part of this book even with their flaws. The men were all perfectly formed, which can be both breath taking (initially) and a little boring (with time). We have a damaged hero in waiting, another could be an alpha ass if things swing too far that way, another a silly goof, and the last takes us into Furry territory. Lera was OK. I wanted a bit more from her. I can see how she can develop into a solid character later in the series, but right now she can be any woman and therefore, is a kind of Mary Sue for any reader who wants to be the center of attention for these 4 guys.

The world building and magic system both lacked in details. There is a little chipping into the magic system as the story unfolds, especially once we meet the second female character in the story (Autumn’s trying to figure out the details of what binds quints). Then there’s Clarissa who adds a bit of danger to the situation. The world is painted with a broad brush, so if you’re worried you’d get lost in lots of made up Fantasy names and don’t want to consult a map, then you’d probably like this aspect. Me, I like unique place names and maps. The magic still leaves me feeling like it’s a plot device and not a fully integrated part of the story.

I wanted a quest. Yep. I know. Quests are for grim dark shady characters or teenage D&D players. Yet, I really wanted one here. I think it’s because the world building and magic system were so weak. The initial idea of getting somewhere vague to have this quint bond release Lera lacked urgency and definitely had a back seat to the lusts floating around our merry little band. Basically, I needed something just as strong as the budding romance (insta-lust) to balance things out.

I really liked Lidell’s Air and Ash but this is a different creature. It’s cute. 3.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Victoria Mei did a pretty good job. She had distinct character voices for everyone and her male voices were usually believable. Her pacing was good too. She did sometimes put this odd significance to a word here or there that didn’t make sense. I felt like each character in turn was giving out attitude in a valley girl kind of way at some random moment. I did love her accent for Tye. There were no technical issues with this recording. 4.5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Alex Lidell. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.