susanvoss18

susanvoss18

A Medical Miracle? by Alec Birri

CONDITION - Book One: A Medical Miracle? - Alec Birri

I was pretty impressed with this book. My favorite thing about it was that I was right alongside Dan Stewart, the main character, as he discovered one thing after another. It was absolutely delicious trying to work this story out. As Dan fits one puzzle piece together after another, so did I. Dan didn’t always have it right at the first go, but even his wrong guesses gave us another smidge of info.

Dan is plagued by the same daily questions from his doctor, visions of his brother Bryan, and that odd feeling that folks around him are constantly lying to him. Is he paranoid? Maybe… maybe not. Tracy, the head nurse who he interacts with the most, seems to have his best at heart but he’s still not sure about that. It could just be that he’s in love with the size of her bosom. His wife and good friend Tony seem to have secrets from him too, the kind that makes his blood boil. Even Bryan refuses to answer some of his basic questions.

Every time I thought I had the underlying mystery figured out, a new bit of info would present itself and I would figure out that I’m wrong. I was totally OK with that because it meant this story had more to offer. At first, it appears Dan is being treated for burns and has been unconscious for 6 months, which would explain his muddled mind. But why all the little lies from staff and family?

This story has one weakness and that is the ladies. Tracy gets the most page time and has the most developed character. However, most of her character centers on her chest and her desire for a serious romance. The Lady Prime Minister could turn out to be an interesting character later in the series but right now she is one dimensional: righteous anger. Dan’s wife gets a few lines here and there and she’s just in the story to be of comfort. There’s a few other female minor characters.

The real villain of the tale, Professor Savage, doesn’t make a strong appearance until the last third of the book. He’s the genius behind this new treatment for the ‘condition’ and yet he may have an ulterior motive. He doesn’t seem to mind sacrificing a few eggs to make an omelette. I look forward to him being a bigger character in Book 2. 4.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Jonathan Keeble did a very nice job with this story. He makes a perfect Dan, with his posh air and demanding to know this and that while also keeping him very human in his confusion, anger, and fear. His female voices were good too. Each character is distinct in his performance. I especially liked his sinister, older voice for Professor Savage. 5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Alec Birri. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.