susanvoss18

susanvoss18

The Final Correction by Alec Birri

The Final Correction - Alec Birri

Note: This is Book 3 in the series and you really need to experience Books 1 & 2 in order to get this book.

As with Book 2, we start with brand new characters in a different part of the world but it seems to be contemporary with Professor Savage (2028). In the Middle East, the world of Islam has changed, as has most things, with the advent of Savage’s latest technology. He gave the world two major things: the ability to modify your most basic behaviors even from conception and also the world of AI in both virtual worlds and in robots. Very exciting!

Isra and her dad Faruk are our new main characters. The first third of this book explores how the new technologies have affected the up & coming generation as well as the older generations with all their traditions. The world is moving on with or without the traditions of the Middle East and people have to choose. Faruk and Isra are great characters to get these complex themes across. Faruk believes in the old traditions; however, that means he’s easily offended by so many things. Isra doesn’t have a commitment to the old traditions. Also, being a woman, the old traditions limit her. The new technologies set her free. So, lots of great conflicts going on there that I enjoyed watching play out.

Eventually, we rejoin Professor Savage and Dr. Addams in prison. Maria and Emile (who I inadvertently called Emmanuel in my review of Book 2) put in a brief appearance as well. I was hoping for more of them since I really enjoyed their characters in Book 2. Nurse Tracy is now a mom and still devoted to Dr. Addams. So Tracy remains a sex object and a comforter; I had hoped more would be done with her character. It’s a good thing we have some very interesting new characters in this book.

Part of the plot plays out in the real world and part of it plays out in a virtual reality. Some humans are aware of the difference and some are not. Some of the AIs want to preserve humanity and some have become lost themselves and need help or to be put down. At some point I did lose track of what was taking place in the real world and what was happening in VR. Still, it was a very interesting plot.

At the end, there’s a twist and I think I got it… I’m pretty sure I got it… maybe. Or perhaps it was left a bit nebulous so each reader can make up their minds as to how the story ends. At any rate, it has been a wild, crazy, memorable, and entertaining tale. I recommend the series. 4.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Jonathan Keeble has done another great job. Each character was distinct and his female voices were believable. I liked his Middle Eastern accents and his Argentinian accents as well. There were plenty of emotions in this tale and he did a great job performing them all, subtle or big. 5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Alec Birri. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.