susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Mabel and the Queen of Dreams by The Herz Boys

Mabel and the Queen of Dreams - Henry Herz, Lisa Woods

Mabel is an expert at not going to sleep. She’s needs to pee, wants a drink of water, get’s tangled in the covers, etc. So her mom tells her the Fae queen will only come once Mabel closes her eyes. She waits until Mabel settles in bed and then, in the Fae queen’s voice, she tells Mabel all about how she travels the world bringing dreams to children.

I really enjoyed all the imagery in this book – the Fae queen’s coach was crafted by a beetle! If she travels about your knees as you sleep, then you dream you are dancing! Those are just two examples and plenty more are told simply in this children’s bedtime story book. The final page has some lines from Shakespeare and I always like little touches like this because they stand the chance of planting a seed – in this case, one that will blossom into a love of Shakespeare.

The illustrations are beautiful and some are rather detailed. I especially liked the ones showing other kids and what they dream of. I also loved the illustration of the beetle working away at making a fairy coach. The Fae queen does put in an appearance and I was not disappointed!

I received a copy of this book at no cost from the authors in exchange for an honest review.