susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Origins of the Never by CJ Rutherford

Origins of the Never: A prequel to The Tales of the Neverwar series, with dragons, elves and faeries. - Colin Rutherford, CJ Rutherford

In the land of Teralia, there is no greed or avarice. Life is good. That is until jealousy sneaks in between best friends Tenebris and Olimay. Both elves love Linaria, but one will go to questionable lengths to show that love.

This short tale definitely reads like a prologue to something bigger. I think it’s a good place to start the series. Early on, we can see that there’s going to be trouble between Tenebris and Olimay. Tenebris has a bit of a darker nature where Olimay comes off as a bit naive.

The dragons, especially Gleerin, play an important role in this story. Tenebris attempts to use them as game pieces. However, Linaria has the friendship of Gleerin. I suspect the dragons have their own society and such, though that is only hinted at in this story.

Magic plays a big part in the tale. The land of Teralia itself is enchanted, preventing feelings of greed and avarice while also providing all the basics needed by every living soul. However, other negative feelings do occur. At first, this came off as a little too happy-happy silly for me. But as the story progressed, I saw that this particular magic (preventing greed and avarice) was a more complicated magic and had complex ripples throughout the culture. Perhaps if Tenebris had been able to channel his lust for Linaria into merchant greed, the fall out would have been less. Anyway, it was an interesting point to ponder as the story unfolded.

Throughout the entire story, there is only 1 female character (Linaria) and she doesn’t really get a personality but is rather solely a love interest for both main male characters. Sigh…. A little cliched. OK, a lot cliched. But I expect this is set up for Book 1 of the series so I hope this doesn’t turn out to be the norm for the series in regards to female characters.

All in all, this is a great set up to a bigger story and I look forward to the rest of the series.

I received a review copy at no cost from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Narration: Katie Welburn did a good job with the characters’s emotions and all the fantastical names. However, her male voices often blended into the same voice and sometimes lacked masculinity.