susanvoss18

susanvoss18

The Book of Jordan by Jeremy Michael Joseph

The Book of Jordan - Jeremy Michael Joseph

This interesting little piece starts off as a creation myth and I was caught up in it. Honestly, I didn’t know if this story would be my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it. The creation myth is thoughtful and inventive and involves both genders.

Jordan and Sun have kids – Bird, Thunder, Wind, Ocean, Night. Again and again, this family meets with tragedy, destroying each other. For example, Thunder reincarnates as a religious warrior over and over again. Night is known for eating people. The reincarnation swaps genders, skin color, religions, cultures, etc. I really liked this aspect of the tale because it makes it inclusive of everyone. We all have something to contribute and we all could do better at how we treat others.

The tale moves from a creation myth into a parable. There’s bits about reincarnation and why it’s important to treat people good even if they are opposed to you in some things. The final part asks people to reflect on being reincarnated into less lucky circumstances. While the story does get just a touch preachy at the end, it doesn’t link itself back to any particular belief system. Plenty of food for thought here, but also just an interesting little creation story.

I received a copy of this book at no cost from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Narration: Jeremy Michael Joseph has a good cadence, giving it the sound of an important tale. Dramatic music plays in the background but never drowns out the dialogue. I felt that Joseph was passionate about the story but not overwhelming the tale either.