susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Krav Maga for Beginners by ClydeBank Recreation

Krav Maga for Beginners: A Comprehensive Introduction to Krav Maga (Krav Maga, Krav Maga Training, Krav Maga History) - ClydeBank Recreation

This introduction to the krav maga martial art covers a brief history, the basics of the philosophy, and beginner strikes, blocks, and kicks. The creators of this book stress that it is not a substitute for training with a certified krav maga trainer. I found it to be a good introduction if you’re considering getting into krav maga seriously, or if you wanted a refresher. I also found there was plenty of practical advice on basic self defense for anyone.

This audiobook started off with a brief history of the art and I also appreciate such background information. Imre Lichtenfeld developed the art over a few years as he put it to practical use. He was an accomplished athlete in many fields but he soon discovered that actual hand-to-hand combat was rather different from competitive sport martial arts. I can really appreciate that krav maga has been tested on the battlefield.

The authors of this book don’t shy away from explaining how krav maga is different from most other martial arts, and is, indeed, frowned upon by some institutions. Krav maga teaches, and allows, such moves as eye gouging and groin hits. While these are very practical moves in a real attack, they are considered rather uncouth in the sports world. I was interested in this book and this martial art because of the real life applications and not for competitive sports. So I like that the book points out these differences up front.

The book then goes into describing basic blocks, strikes, and kicks. More difficult moves are also described, such as fighting on the ground. If you’re getting mugged on an evening walk, this could be where your fight ends up and it’s good to have some practical advice about how to get out of it. The book also goes over options if you’re facing an armed opponent.

Over all, I was very satisfied with this book. It provided more info than I was expecting, considering the short length of it. If you’re wondering if krav maga is for you, then this is a good way to check it out. I think the practical defense and offense information is great for anyone who is looking for a review of self-defense in general. The audiobook is suppose to come with a PDF that has drawings and additional information. I could not download this PDF from Audible but the audiobook gives you contact info for the company to get a hold of that PDF if you have any troubles.

I received a copy of this book at no cost from the publisher (via theAudiobooks GoodReads group) in exchange for an honest review.

The Narration: Kevin Kollins was a good narrator for this book. He sounded excited about the subject matter without sounding like he was trying to sell me something. His voice was precise when explaining the various moves. He even used a little touch of emotion when going over how krav maga is considered ungentlemanly by some sports organizations.