susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Olde School

Olde School - Selah Janel, Joshua H. Leet, Jason C Conley Kingdom City, formerly known as Thadd’s Kingdom, has been modernizing for the last few decades. Now trolls, humans, and pixies can all enjoy a nice steaming cup of coffee at the local diner while checking their emails on the free local wi-fi. But not all are ready to modernize and many pick and choose what they want to modernize. Flat screen tvs and fold up concealed maces are popular while online banking and dating has only been accepted by certain parts of the population. Paddlelump Stonemonger is one of the first businesstrolls the kingdom has seen and he runs a toll bridge. Folks use it to cross a ravine to his lands of open meadow and forest. His older troll friends, Uljah and Izzpick, give him quite the ribbing over his business suit and lack of weaponry. But, hey, he’s a troll. Who the hell is going to mess with an 8 foot tall troll?

This book is heavy on the humor and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a great read for this time of the year if you are looking for the lighter side of Halloween. While it does take a while for the main plot to put in an appearance, you won’t be bored adventuring around Kingdom City, experiencing the ambiance and getting to know the characters. Flora (the waitress at the diner) and Nobody (maid to Paddlelump) are the two major female characters, though they both take back seat to the male characters. Flora has a sharp wit and isn’t cowed by troll, ogre, or studly prince wannabe. Nobody is introduced as a maiden in distress, who is looking for work and a place to pasture her pet cow. Paddlelump hires her to do the cleaning, laundry, and cooking, meanwhile allowing her to pasture her cow in his meadowlands. As she repeatedly fails to get the daily chores done, Paddlelumps friends encourage him to let her go, but he hesitates, much to his detriment later on when the plot arrives.

More characters are introduced as the story unfolds. I enjoyed learning about Grimclaw, the head detective/sheriff ogre, as the body count starts to build. Then there is Clyde. Ah, Clyde! Such a fun character. I loved his snooty attitude and his humor. Paddlelump himself is forced to grow as a character as life’s roadblocks continue to pile up on him. There’s the aforementioned issue with the maid, he’s in a tiff with the City Mayor, and then, about a third of the way in to the book, things turn grim indeed. I have to say I didn’t see the shift in tone coming for this book, but I liked the darker note intruding into this story. It gave it weight and made me care more about the characters. I won’t spoil it for you, but if you were thinking about reading this aloud at story time for small kids, you might want to give the entire book a skim first.

Over all, this was very enjoyable read. It kept me up way to late a few nights in a row as I didn’t want to put it down. I am very much looking forward to future installments in The Kingdom City Chronicles.