susanvoss18

susanvoss18

Hunted

Hunted - Luke Daniels, Kevin Hearne It is pretty hard to chat about this book without spoilers to the previous books. So, let me start by some generic gushing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I nearly finished it one day. Granted, I had some horrible imported Peruvian cold and really didn’t want to accomplish much that day, but still. This book had action, tender moments, a variety of deities acting badly in a variety of deadly ways, and bare-ass shenanigans. You all know now how much I like my bare-ass shenanigans, and Kevin Hearne does not leave me disappointed on that note. I won’t say this is my favorite in the series, but I definitely appreciate how the characters have grown and continue to grow in each book.

From this point on, there will be spoilers for the series up to the end of Book 5, Trapped. Avert your eyes now if you are concerned.

So we all know that Granuaile got her Druidic tatts in Book 5. She now can tap into Earth powers. Hooray! In this book, we finally get to see things from her point of view. I would say that perhaps a quarter of the book is narrated through her eyes. I’m listening to the audio, and at first, this threw me off a little, but later I appreciated it.

Oberon’s sense of humor is a bit less in this book than in the last two, but I was OK with that. Was it Book 4 that had a little too much punniness? Anyway, I enjoyed the slightly more serious tone. After all, they are running for their lives. With a few Greek Goddesses on their heels and Loki being the demented, twisted jerk he is, the three had their hands, or paws, talons, or hooves full. At one point, Wheaton’s Law is called upon: Don’t be a dick. I wish more folks applied it to their every day lives, especially when sharing the road with me.

Dark Elves, Dwarves, the Morigan, all play a part. There is so much good stuff in this book, but I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. Let me say that there are two big events in this book that I expect will have lasting effects on our trio of heroes. These two events pulled on my heart strings. Overall, it was another fun and intense installment in The Iron Druid Chronicles. Atticus had a very clever and interesting response to deal with the hunting Greek Goddesses. He also had to make a deal to help hold off Ragnarok just a little longer.

Narration: Luke Daniels was awesome once again. I love his voice for the Morigan. Of course his Oberon silly wolfhound voice is always great. He had to come up with a wicked voice for Loki, and he pulled it off with finesse.